Real Salt Lake fires coach Jeff Cassar
European Football Headlines
- Real Madrid starts title defense way ahead of Barcelona
- Forward Nikola Kalinic skips Fiorentina training
- Wembley factor hanging over Tottenham's title hopes
- Brighton & Hove Albion-Leicester City Preview
- Bundesliga top flight set for its first female referee
- BUNDESLIGA 2017-18: Bayern eyes record 6th straight title
- AC Milan and Napoli likeliest challengers to Juve's crown
- Piatti scores twice, Impact beat Fire 3-0
- All in the Family: Timbers keep former players in the fold
- Madrid beats Barca 2-0 without Ronaldo to win Super Cup
SANDY, Utah (AP) Real Salt Lake has fired coach Jeff Cassar.
The club announced Monday that director of goalkeeping Daryl Shore will step in as interim head coach.
Real Salt Lake is ninth in the MLS Western Conference with an 0-2-1 record. The team has gone winless in its past 10 matches going back to the 2016 season. Real Salt Lake has scored just one goal in three games this season.
Cassar joined the organization in 2007 as an assistant coach and was promoted in 2014. The team went 38-37-30 during his tenure. The team retained Cassar for the 2017 season after his contract expired following the 2016 season.
General Manager Craig Waibel said in a statement there is a "sense of urgency for progress this season," which is why the move was made now.
Updated March 20, 2017