Bengals release 8-year veteran LB Rey Maualuga
- Rams hold off 49ers in 41-39 thriller
- Lawyer: Hernandez had 'severe' CTE case
- Packers LB Perry to have hand surgery
- Players ask Goodell to support activism
- Newton limited, expects to face Saints
By JOE KAY
CINCINNATI (AP) The Bengals have released eight-year veteran linebacker Rey Maualuga, saying they were moving to a younger group at the position.
Saturday's move comes five days after they signed free-agent linebacker Kevin Minter to a one-year deal, an indication they were going in a different direction.
Maualuga was Cincinnati's second-round pick in 2009. He has played in 114 games, starting 104 of them. Maualuga and Andy Dalton were named team captains in 2012.
Second-year linebacker Nick Vigil also is expected to get an expanded role next season in a defense that slipped in 2016, finishing 17th in yards allowed.
For more NFL coverage: www.pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/AP-NFL
Updated March 25, 2017